I have spent a lot of time working on an application that uses some new ideas to manage information. Here are a few key points I was looking for:
- A next gen tagging mechanism
- No folders or nested containers
- Very web like - information should be connected similar to the real web or a wiki
- Ability to link to original articles - bookmarkish
- I wanted wiki like links for content - this turned out not to be necessary
- Utilization of graphical views (mind maps would be ideal)
- Support for spatial orientation like cheat sheets
- A way of remembering information from the past when the topic was just beyond my mental reach
The last one really is a matter of recalling the context that I captured the information in the first place. Once I recall the context, the information that I captured quickly follows.
The idea of recalling context turned out to be pretty straight forward once the other pieces were in place. Imagine a mind map of important terms and topics where the chunks of information are actually the connectivity of these terms and topics in the mind map. Once that is is place it is easy to create a mechanism to change a mind maps to reflect any point in history.
I am pretty pleased with the outcome. I call it WagBee after the waggle dance of a bees that is used to communicate where the nectar is to the other bees. It had the hive like perspective that I was looking for.
Anyway, I through a video together of the Proof of concept and am now moving to a beta. You can view the video on wagbee.com. If it looks interesting, register and I will send you an invite to take it for a spin.